Chorizo and Lemon Pilaf
A really easy but extremely tasty one pot dish!
10 minutes preparation, 30 minutes to cook
- 1 large onion, cut into chunky squares
- 200g spicy chorizo, cubed
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 250g basmati rice
- 600ml chicken or vegetable stock
- Zest of 1 lemon cut off in wide strips
- 2 dried bay leaves
- small bunch parsley, chopped
- Chopping board and sharp knife
- Fairly large pan with lid (a thick bottomed pan that will hold its heat works best)
- Tin opener
- Cooking Spoon/Spatula
- Measuring jug
First fry the onion in the bottom of the pan for 1 or 2 minutes until it has a little colour, then add the chorizo and fry for another minute.
Next add the garlic and paprika and fry for a further minute giving it all a good stir round to stop the paprika burning. Finally add the rest of the ingredients except for the parsley (so the tomatoes, stock, rice, lemon peel and bay leaves) and then cover with the lid.
Cook on a low heat for 10 minutes and then turn the heat off (but leave the lid on!) and leave for another 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes remove the lid, stir through the parsley and serve (don’t eat the lemon peel or bay leaves!).