Salade aux chèvre chaud
A simple French classic that is always delicious
Serves 2; Preperation 5 minutes, cooking time 10 minutes
- I00g soft lettuce (not an iceberg!) or salad leaves
- 40g walnuts
- Half a thin baguette (preferable close in width to the goats cheese)
- 180g soft rinded goats cheese log (you want to buy a small log rather than a slice of a large one)
- 2 teaspoons grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- Pinch of salt
- Chopping board and knife
- Baking sheet
- Pastry brush (optional)
Slice 12 slices of the baguette each about 1cm thick. Brush both sides with oil (or rub a little oil in if you don’t have a pastry brush), place on the baking tray and pop under the grill till they are a light golden brown. That will take about 3 or 4 minutes, you should keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
When they’re golden get them back out of the oven and turn them over. Slice X rounds of the goats cheese also about 1 cm thick and place these on top of the un-grilled side of the baguette. Pop everything back under the grill for another 5/6 minutes until the top of the cheese has browned and is starting to bubble. Remove the cheese toasts from the grill and let them cool a little while you dress the salad.
To make the dressing whisk together the honey, mustard and vinegar then add the oil and salt and whisk further to make an emulsion. Add the salad leaves and walnuts to the dressing and toss gently. Serve the salad between the two plates and top with the cheese toasts.