Fragrant Cauliflower Soup
A thick, fragrant and gently spiced soup thickened with ground almonds
Serves 4 as a starter, 3 as a main; Preparation 10 minutes, cooking time 25 minutes
- 1 large white cauliflower (I think the yellow/orange ones would work okay as well but the purple and green varieties might look a bit strange!)
- 2 small onions
- A little vegetable oil
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 heaped tbsp harrisa paste
- 1 litre of hot vegetable or chicken stock
- 50g of ground almonds
- Chopping board and sharp knife
- Large saucepan and spoon
- Hand/stick blender (or liquidizer)
Chop the cauliflower into medium sized chunks and roughly chop the onions.
Gently fry the spices and the harrisa paste for 5 minutes.
Add the cauliflower, onions, ground almonds and stock and bring to the boil.
Simmer for 20 minutes and then turn of the heat and blend the soup until smooth.